Singapore Green Plan(SGP)


Singapore Green

The Singapore Green Plan is Singapore’s environmental blueprint for the future. Its objective is to ensure that Singapore, through sound environmental management, achieves economic development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the needs of future generations.

 

Some of the targets set in the updated SGP 2012 are listed in the following table:

Source from NLB.

Focus Area  Selected Targets
Air and climate change •Maintain the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) for ambient air within the “good” range for 85% of the year and within the “moderate” range for the remaining 15%.•Reduce the ambient Particulate Matter 2.5 (PM 2.5) level to within an annual average of 15µg/Nm3 by 2014.
Water Increase catchment areas to 67% of Singapore’s land surface.Increase the supply of water from non-conventional sources, such as desalination and water reclamation, to at least 25% of Singapore’s water demand.Reduce per capita domestic water consumption to 155 litres a day by 2012.
Waste management •Increase the overall waste-recycling rate to 60% by 2012.•Extend the lifespan of Semakau Landfill to 50 years, strive towards “zero landfill” and “close the waste loop”.
Conserving nature Establish more parks and green linkages.Set up a National Biodiversity Reference Centre.
Public health •Increase community ownership to sustain a high standard of public health.•Maintain low incidence of vector-borne and food-borne diseases.
International environmental relations Intensify collaboration with partners at regional and global levels to tackle environmental challenges.

 

Interview: PM Lee Hsien Loong on the world’s most pressing concerns